These instructions assume that you are already familiar with WordPress. If you need a more basic tutorial please see http://demoblog.listpipe.com/
Installation Instructions (0.6 Beta and above)
- Backup your database
- Download Business Directory from http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/business-directory/ and unzip it.
- Upload the `business-directory` folder (from the file you just unzipped) to the `/wp-content/plugins/` directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Now that Business Directory is active click on the “Biz Directory” link in the bottom left of your admin screen, then select “Categories”. Edit the “General” category if you desire by clicking the “edit” link, then add new categories by clicking the “Add New Category” link. You need at least one category at all times for your users to be able to add their listings.
- Next, you will need two pages, one to display the listings and the other to display the join form. You can title the pages however you want, but for the simplicity of this installation guide, title one page “Business Directory” and the other “Join the Directory”. Although the titles of the pages are irrelevant, the listings cannot be on the same page as the join form (i.e. you will need two separate pages for the plugin to work).
- Place `[bizdir_directory]` on your ‘Business Directory’ page (this is where the listings will appear; please do not copy and paste the preceding code into your site, see the “Important Notes” below)
- Place `[bizdir_addform] ` on your ‘Join the Directory’ page (this is where your submission form will appear; again, please do not copy and paste the preceding code into your site, see the “Important Notes” below)
- Use the ‘Business Directory’ tab under the ‘Manage’ tab to manage your submissions
With a few exceptions (documented below) the best way to upgrade is to use the ‘Upgrade Now’ button on your Plugins page (if your hosting situation is set up to handle that), or by following these steps:
- Backup your database.
- Deactivate Business Directory.
- Delete the old version of Business Directory from your plugins directory (typically `wp-content/plugins`) via ftp.
- Download the new version of the Business Directory from http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/business-directory/ and unzip it (Unzipping the downloaded zip file should produce a folder named `business-directory`), and upload it to your plugins directory.
- Reactivate Business Directory.
- Now set up your categories by clicking on the “Biz Directory” link in the bottom left of your admin screen, then select “Categories”. All of your existing listings will be placed in the “General” category (if you are upgrading from a version before “0.8 Beta”). Edit the “General” category if you desire by clicking the “edit” link, then add new categories by clicking the “Add New Category” link. You need at least one category at all times for your users to be able to add their listings. You can move existing listings to different categories by clicking back on “Biz Directory” and then “review” the listings.
Updating Instructions (if you have v0.5 Beta or earlier)
Due to our rookie mistake, updating from “0.5 Beta” to “0.6 Beta” or higher may be a little tricky. We suggest the following steps:
- Download our latest version.
- Deactivate the Business Directory through your ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Delete the Business Directory plugin files from your `/wp-content/plugins/` directory. Take care not to delete the Business Directory database table (typically named `wp_biz_listings`) to preserve your directory data.
- Upload the the `business-directory` folder) to your `/wp-content/plugins/` directory.
- Activate the Business Directory through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
Please note that your Business Directory may not function properly during the updating process.
- Always back up your database before making changes (such as installing or upgrading) to Business Directory. We do our best to provide stable releases, but it is always best to have a backup.
- The plugin is not currently designed to allow both the Join Form and the Directory on the same page.
- If you copy the shortcode from above, be sure to strip out the bold tags (‘<strong>’) or it will not work. We have intentionally added bold so that the forms don’t show on this page. We recommend typing the shortcode into your page yourself to avoid any confusion, especially if you are not familiar with HTML.